I recently took a trip to Big Texas Thrift in Austin, Texas and it was one of my first real thrift shopping experiences. While I am not huge on thrifting, it is actually a fun activity that is so beneficial! I ended up getting the bag above which was originally from Forever 21 (similar) and a Brandy Melville skirt for $10 total! I tried to link items as similar as possible that are being sold now, but I’m sure they are all not being sold anymore. That is the thing about thrifting, you find great pieces that are not sold anymore.
My first timer tips for thrifting :
- Wear neutral clothes : I wore something super neutral so I could try on any piece that I wore and try to visualize the piece as best as I could. (pictured above)
- Look forward to next seasons : Even though it’s transition season, I looked through the entire store and tried to find shorts sleeves, long sleeves and shorts as well because those pieces will not be there next time you go!
- Take your time : It’s really easy to get discouraged when you can’t find the most amazing pieces. I got really discouraged at first but it takes time to find the good stuff
- Don’t have expectations : telling yourself I’m going to find a vintage jean jacket or the perfect fitting jeans is not always realistic, while it would be great if you did, but just let the pieces come to you
- Wash your finds : This is a given but very much overlooked. You never know who previously owned your newest blouse and lots of people go through those racks so wash before you wear.
This dress was actually a Vera Wang dress! I was not crazy about the collar but it was a great print! (similar from vineyard vines)
Similar Skirt from Urban Outfitters
Similar Skirt from Lulus
Similar Shorts from SheIn
Similar Coat from SheIn
Brandy Melville Skirt I purchased
Similar Skirt from Lulus
Similar Brown Leather Skirt from Zappos
Similar Dress from Revolve
15 thoughts on “How to Thrift Shop”
The skirt is suede looks fantastic! xx
It was in great condition too!
So many pretty pieces!
Anika | anikamay.co.uk
I know, I was lucky!
I often thrift and I love it. I always get the best of items. These tips usually help.
Thrifting does bring the best items!
I love thrift store shopping!!! You found some amazing items! Hope you got that BB Dakota jacket!
Riva | http://www.whatrivawore.com
I am not very skilled at thrifting because I’m an odd size but I have a friend who is SOOO GOOOD at it…it blows my mind. Love the ones you found! – Stephanie | http://www.theborrowedbabes.com
Wow! Definitely have her share her secrets!
There are not many good thrift stores in my city, so I am always so jealous when I see what bloggers can find! I love that plaid dress!
Love your finds! I think I have that bag from Forever 21 lol
I love thrift shopping! And the skirts are amazing! Your thrift sho definitely have a lot of cute pieces!
I definitely found a few good ones!
So many nice items!
Nice pics too 😉
Have a nice evening !
Olivia Poncelet ❤